[1.IV.3] Why Is Intuition So Often Wrong?

We saw that intuitive methods are frequently wrong. This happens in most fields, not only piano practice. The reason for this is purely statistical. There are almost an infinite number of ways to perform any task; yet, there is only one best way. That is, our chances of guessing the correct way is basically zero. Nature has endowed us with “intuition” which quickly gives us a workable solution – one which is usually better than 99% of all possible solutions. However, within the remaining 1% (which may be over hundreds of methods), there is still only one best method. Since the intuitive solutions are generally arrived at quickly with insufficient information, they are seldom optimum. Therefore, your chances of hitting the optimum method using intuition are still very low.